Welcome

Skeeter Spray is a blog for the common Information Security Professional. Why Skeeter Spray? See Post #1

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Posting Your Life on Social Networking Sites

I have always considered myself somewhat of a logical thinker when it comes to what should be posted on social networking sites.  To clarify...I have a facebook page but I haven't posted anything to it; I only created the page so that I could monitor what my kids, nieces, nephews, friends kids, etc... were doing online (I feel that is part of my responsibility as a security professional).  There has been several times that I have contacted my facebook friends and informed them of the risks of some of the information they have posted on their site. 

For example, we had some friends come and visit us recently.  I happened to be on facebook the morning they were driving to our house.  I noticed their 14 year old daughter Amy had posted they were coming to visit us and was giving an up every couple of hours on the drive.   When they arrived, I told Amy that if I needed a TV and lived in their town, I would be visiting their house because I know they were going to be gone for 4 days.

Many times I have told my own kids, that for the most part, the only people that care about the information they post on facebook is those people without the best of intentions (except for Mom and Dad of course : )

Today's Thought:  Spend a few minutes each week and monitor the online activity of those people in your life and take the opportunity to educate them about the risks of online activity.

Until next time...Skeeter

No comments:

Post a Comment